Strategies to Overcome Breast Cancer When You Feel Overwhelmed
It’s okay to slow down. Acknowledge your feelings when you face extra stress, so that you can move forward
Alice McCall is an author, counselor, and transformational energy healer. Here she offers her wisdom, including some strategies to overcome breast cancer.
I’ve talked to so many people lately that are overwhelmed by life, the pace of life, and the amount of activity that is expended each day. Even though we work tirelessly and frenetically, the result is that there is still a pile of things left to do. Often when this happens, we become overwhelmed, thinking that we will never get caught up.
Whether you’re trying to overcome breast cancer or not, our normal strategies don’t work when we’re overwhelmed in this way.
Overwhelm leaves us feeling powerless: Slow down
All of the pile-up leaves us feeling powerless. The more the work we are given, the harder it is to make ourselves tackle it… and then it gets worse as we are unable to address it. This cycle continues, until, for example, we have paperwork and bills that have been untouched for 3-6 months!
I know all about this, as I have been there myself. So, I want to share some practical tips to help. These strategies might also help you overcome breast cancer’s daunting task list. When the feeling of mental paralysis starts entering your space:
- Slow everything down. Stop as many activities/actions as you can. Do you really have to do all the things you think you do? Return all the calls? Follow up with all the actions? Can you cancel or postpone an obligation to create some breathing room? I have found this is one of the best strategies to overcome breast cancer’s – and life’s – demands.
Pretend an emergency has happened (maybe one has!). If it did, wouldn’t you be able to clear your plate? This is an emergency – it is your personal emergency. Treat it the same way. Then do the minimum yourself, and set the intention for God and the universe to support a slowing of all outside activities for you. It is amazing, but it works. Once it does, you will have the space to change what’s going on, and tackle your problem area.
Explore ‘why’ – a strategy to overcome breast cancer (and all of life’s stresses)
- Honor whatever feelings you are experiencing. It’s probable that you will be feeling spaced out, and finding it hard to function on the physical plane. Yield to this – be with it. It is okay. Acknowledge your feelings, spend time with them and honor them.
Certain stresses, of course, are unique to the active part of treatment for breast cancer; specific strategies to overcome them include going to a support group meeting; continuing some kind of moderate physical activity; asking for help when you need it (for household chores or errands), and letting family and friends support you. If you’re still feeling unsettled or stressed, read on.
- Address why you feel the way you do. Once you have spent time with your feelings, it is time to explore why they exist. Limitation is a great teacher. If we have brought ourselves to a point of being so paralyzed, so limited, there is probably something about us, our thoughts or our beliefs that we need to address. If that something is playing havoc with us, chances are it is something that we have disowned on a conscious level, but is playing itself out on a subconscious level. So, we need to identify this, own it, clear, and cleanse it.
Create space for a new beginning
- Create a new image of yourself, within yourself. If you strive to be different, to have your life different, it starts with you. Change your mind. This can be a strategy to overcome your breast cancer as a whole: Visualize perfect health. Create a new image of yourself within your thoughts. Let go of beliefs and patterns that no longer serve your best interest. Keep your goal at the forefront of your mind. Take your guidance from within. Be calm, patient, and steady. Be assured of your success.
- Enjoy the present. Be joyful. Take a break. Do something to pamper yourself. Whether you realize it or not, if you have gotten to this point, you have done a lot of very important work. It is time to take a break and do something fun. Of all the strategies to overcome, breast cancer or otherwise, this is one of the most freeing. Experience the joy of being in the present moment, versus in the ‘have to do’s’.
- Move through your backed up work methodically. Now that you have allowed yourself a joyful moment, it is time to address the work that has daunted you on the physical plane. With a renewed energy, set the intention that you will tackle whatever it is that is overwhelming you easily, effortlessly, joyfully, and quickly.
And remember: If at any time you feel yourself getting out of control or if you start to feel overwhelmed — STOP, and intentionally slow everything down. It may seem scary to do, as we worry about not meeting deadlines, or expectations. But I strongly suggest that you just try it. When you do, you will see that it will all work out. Think about self-love as the foundation for all. When in need of love and support, go within. Love yourself and nurture yourself. That’s my best strategy. God Bless.
Learn more about Alice’s strategies to overcome breast cancer at www.healingpath.info. Reused with permission.